Client Care and Service Information
We are committed to complying with the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers of the New Zealand Law Society (“Law Society“). To assist you, the following information describes some key elements of those rules, and explains some recourse you have as a consumer of legal services.
Client care and service
Whatever legal services we are providing, we must:
- act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made;
- protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties;
- discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved;
- provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided;
- charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed;
- give you clear information and advice;
- protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality;
- treat you fairly, respectfully, and without discrimination;
- keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed; and
- let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system.
People responsible for your work
We will advise you of the partner who will have overall responsibility for your work on each matter.
We have complaints procedures that are designed to ensure that any complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly.
If you have a complaint about our services or charges, please talk to the partner responsible for your work.
If you do not wish to talk to that person about your complaint, or you are not satisfied with that person’s response to your complaint, please contact our managing partner, who can be reached by:
The Law Society also maintains a complaints service and you can make a complaint to that service by calling 0800 261 801.
Professional indemnity insurance
We hold professional indemnity insurance that meets or exceeds that minimum standards specified by the Law Society. We can provide you with particulars of the minimum standards upon request.
Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund
The Law Society maintains the Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund to provide protection against client losses arising from theft by lawyers. The maximum amount the Fidelity Fund can compensate you is $100,000. The Fidelity Fund will not usually cover loss relating to money a lawyer is instructed to invest on behalf of a client.
Limitations on extent of our obligations or liability
Our standard terms contain limitations on the extent of our obligations to you and limitations on and exclusions of our liability.