- Jessica Hanning
- Senior Associate
- Litigation | Construction
Jessica advises on a broad range of litigation and dispute resolution matters, including claims in the District and High Courts, Weathertight Homes Tribunal, arbitration, mediation and adjudications.
Jessica’s area of expertise is commercial litigation, with a particular focus on construction disputes. She has juniored in the Court of Appeal in relation to a tender contract dispute and has broad experience in drafting proceedings, appearing at case management conferences, discovery, interlocutory applications, and briefing witnesses.
Jessica is currently on parental leave.
- Jessica was a finalist in the 2017 New Zealand Law Awards.
- She is ranked as an 'Next Generation Lawyer' in the 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific guides. In the 2020 and 2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guides Jessica is recommended as a 'Rising Star'.
- Advising contractors, owners, and consultants in relation to disputes and adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act.
- Acting for clients with payment disputes under the Construction Contracts Act.
- Acting for clients with disputes under NZS3910 contracts
- Acting for contractors and principals in respect of tender process.
- Advising clients who need urgent injunctions to protect their business interests.
- Advising contractors and other clients in debt recovery matters.
- Body corporates and owners in relation to defective buildings and claims for failed remedial work.
- National construction companies in respect of leaky apartment buildings in Auckland and Queenstown.
- Builders in Weathertight Homes Tribunal.
- Ministry of Education in respect of defective school buildings.
- BCOM/LLB (HONS) (First Class Honours), University of Otago