- Karen Kemp
- Litigation | Construction
Karen specialises in commercial litigation, advising clients on a wide range of disputes and risk management.
She has extensive experience acting for national and international clients in corporate disputes, construction risk management and project litigation, debt collection and issues relating to regulatory compliance.
Karen uses her experience to provide strategic advice to get the best result for the client. She is an expert in a wide range of construction contract claims under NZ Standard Forms and NEC contracts, acting for all manner of construction clients – contractors, principals, subcontractors – as well as companies and individuals in general litigation.
She has acted on several complex construction adjudications and arbitrations, appeared as counsel in the High Court, District Court and Tribunals, as well as advising clients on complex investigations by the Department of Internal Affairs or acting in judicial review proceedings.
- Karen is recommended in the 2017 - 2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guides where she is noted for being 'a strong lawyer with a commercial focus'.
- Acting for an Australian client in relation to dispute under Heads of Agreement and shareholder entitlements.
- Advising an international off-shore bank in relation to shareholder claim and loan default.
- Acting and advising businesses on various contractual claims, product liability, FTA and supply terms.
- Acting for clients in a range of commercial contractual disputes, including debt recovery.
- Acting for Auckland International Airport Limited on project claims and disputes.
- Advising Arrow International (NZ) Ltd on all aspects of construction contracts, including risk management and claims.
- Working with Southbase Construction in relation to contract administration and claims.
- Acting for contractor in PPP dispute on issues relating to extension events and design scope.
- Advising developer of significant residential project in Auckland, on Council consenting and MBIE determination.
- BA (HONS), University of Cambridge
- MA (CANTAB)
- Post Graduate diploma in Legal Practice (UK)
- 1994 (England and Wales)
- 1998 (New Zealand)
- Infrastructure New Zealand
- National Advisory Board for Women in Infrastructure Network
- National Association of Women in Construction
- Society of Construction Law