- Mark Dineen
- Agribusiness | Corporate Advisory
Mark brings a unique blend of legal expertise in agribusinesses of all sizes, and an approach grounded in sixteen years experience as a stock agent. Admitted to the bar in 2004, Mark’s is a pragmatic, collaborative and flexible style honed over years of coming to know the sector and its people.
His passion for agribusiness, insights into what goes on behind the farm gate and ongoing connections within the sector mean his clients get advice that is grounded in the real world.
He understands the issues that those in agribusiness grapple with every day – as well as the many opportunities on offer.
“People come for legal advice, but what they are really here for is solutions to problems,” Mark says. “We provide manageable solutions, and understand that although agribusiness is a business, some issues are sensitive and some are intensely private. We see the people behind the transactions.”
Mark prides himself on being accessible, providing ‘solid, pragmatic solutions’, and bringing clients a specialist industry lens as well as a broad full-service offering.
Mark has a long-standing interest in cycling, multisport events and art. He was a rugby player for many years and played in New Zealand and France.
Learn more about Anthony Harper’s Agribusiness offering here.
- 18 years as an owner and partner of a national law firm based in Christchurch.
- Successfully led the purchase of a New Zealand record, for the highest price paid for a dairy farm at auction. Led the side deal negotiations and agreements in respect to conditions of settlement with multiple parties.
- Led the restructure of a large New Zealand based Dairy Partnership in excess of $200m using a number of legal entities together with securing and negotiating the finance arrangement.
- Successfully negotiated an out of court settlement with a financial institution in respect of specific financial instruments.
- Managed the sales process and disposal of new livestock species to New Zealand.
- Sixteen years as a stock agent and auctioneer, agribusiness specialist lawyer since 2004.
- Awareness of the business and strategic – not just legal – aspects that influence the work.
- Extensive experience in leading complex negotiations and helping clients navigate a changing environment.
- Detailed experience, knowledge and understanding of governance. Chairman Canterbury Westland District Law Society Property and Commercial Committee, New Zealand Institute of Primary Industry Management.
- Managed profitable trading business for livestock clients through the supply chain and recognised for pioneering the inter-island trade in New Zealand.
- LLB, University of Canterbury 2004
- Admitted 2004