- Matt Smith
- Corporate Advisory | Technology
Matt is a senior commercial lawyer with particular expertise in the technology and electricity industries. His extensive experience includes advising clients on the commercialisation of technology, the roll-out and maintenance of electricity and other infrastructure assets, IT systems development, implementation and support, IT and telecommunications outsourcing, managed service and “as a Service” arrangements, privacy/data protection, merges and acquisitions, joint ventures/shareholders’ agreements and capital raisings.
Matt delivers his clients concise and pragmatic advice, in a calm and friendly manner.
- Establishment of the SmartCo smart electricity metering business, including joint venture arrangements, metering system and hardware agreements, and agreements for the supply of electricity consumption data to electricity retailers.
- Advising MiMOMax Wireless on the roll-out and support of radio communications networks for electricity utilities.
- Wellington City Council's Project Odyssey for the procurement of a core IT platform to replace 120+ existing systems supporting the Council's business operations.
- Shared ICT Services Project for Wellington City Council, Porirua City Council, Upper Hutt City Council and Wellington Water to procure shared ICT infrastructure services in the Wellington region.
- Outsourcing of Westpac's IT architecture to IBM.
- Advising electricity lines companies on arrangements for the procurement of smart metering infrastructure, the trial of a battery energy storage system, use of system agreements and line function services agreements .
- Acquisition of robotic exoskeleton developer, Rex Bionics, pre-listing capital raise and £10m reverse listing on the London Stock Exchange's Alternative Investment Market.
- Inland Revenue – Business Transformation Programme (including the procurement of its design partner) and telecommunications services outsourcing arrangements with Vodafone
- Sale of soft starter manufacturer, Aucom Electronics Limited, to Unico Technologies Group.
- InvoCare's acquisition of the Hope and Sons, Whitestone Funerals and Morrison Funeral Directors funeral home businesses.
- Shanghai Maling's $260m purchase of a 50% stake in Silver Fern Farms.
- BCOM/LLB (HONS), University of Auckland