- Sam Wilson
- Special Counsel
- Corporate Advisory | Technology | Cross Border Investments | Food & Beverage
Sam advises clients on a broad range of corporate matters. His particular areas of experience include domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, emerging growth companies, joint ventures, corporate restructuring and corporate advisory.
Sam works across a number of sectors, but has particular experience and focus in the technology, food and beverage and life sciences sectors. Sam has extensive tech M&A, Private Equity and venture capital experience and has acted on some of New Zealand’s most significant tech transactions.
Sam has a reputation in the market for being technically sound, commercially astute, and responsive: “Sam is technically very strong, is responsive and has excellent client relationship skills. Sam is good at working through issues and problems and coming up with workable solutions. We appreciate his fast turnaround time and attention to detail. Sam understands our business model well and balances our commercial needs while mitigating legal risk to an appropriate level.”
Sam was named finalist for Young Private Practice Lawyer of the Year at the 2019 New Zealand Law Awards and listed as a New Zealand Lawyer Rising Star 2020.
- Advised a New Zealand tech unicorn on its sale to NASDAQ listed trade buyer for ~NZ$1.5 billion
- Advised New Zealand's largest grocery retailer on many of its strategic corporate transactions
- Advised US, UK and Australian private equity funds on acquisitions of multiple New Zealand founded tech companies
- Advised on a transaction that won the 2019 INFINZ M&A Transaction Deal of the Year and was also a finalist for Consumer, Media and Tech Deal of the Year at the 2019 New Zealand Law Awards
- Advised US, Australian and New Zealand venture capital/corporate venture capital funds on investments into multiple New Zealand founded tech companies
- Advised a number of large corporates on their global corporate re-organisations
- Advised start-up clients on their seed to series A–D capital raises, and continue to support them with their day-to-day legal needs throughout their business lifecycle
- LLB/BSc, University of Otago, 2010
- Admitted in 2011 (New Zealand)