- Tania Hutchinson
- Special Counsel
- Litigation | Construction
Tania’s expertise is in civil litigation and dispute resolution, with an emphasis on construction and insurance disputes. She has appeared in the District Court and High Court, and is experienced in dealing with various tribunals and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Tania regularly acts for construction industry participants and assist with litigation arising from contractual breaches or claims under the Construction Contracts Act 2002, the Building Act 2004, and other legislation.
She advises policyholders in matters involving both domestic and commercial insurance, with a particular focus on providing advocacy, negotiation and settlement of disputed claims in Christchurch’s post-earthquake environment.
- Advising developers, contractors, principals, and consultants across all aspects of dispute resolution, from the more traditional arbitration and litigation settings, through to mediation, adjudication, and review boards .
- Acting for clients from tender stage through to resolving disputes under NZS3910, NZS3915, NZIA SCC, BuildRight BCC, RBC (Master Builders) and other standardised or bespoke contracts.
- Lead counsel on several High Court “Earthquake List” proceedings.
- 100+ negotiated settlements of policyholder insurance claims arising from the Canterbury earthquake sequence including advice and advocacy in respect of omitted earthquake damage, land damage, or pre-existing structural and non-compliant construction issues.
- Provide comprehensive advice and advocacy to construction industry clients on the governing building and construction law and legislation.
- Advising contractors and other clients in debt recovery matters.
- Advised and successfully opposed a private district plan change application for rezoning of rural land for residential development.
- LLB, University of Canterbury
- Canterbury Women's Legal Association Inc.
- Society of Construction Law New Zealand Inc.
- National Association of Women in Construction