Alistair is a leading commercial property and real estate lawyer with expertise in all aspects of commercial property, including large scale development (including KiwiBuild projects), acquisitions, disposals, property syndication, leasing and property finance.
He takes a strategic, solutions-focused approach, and works hard to truly understand his client’s drivers. His strong client relationships and deep transactional expertise help him deliver successful commercial outcomes.
Alistair’s clients include major listed and unlisted property investment companies, high net worth individuals, developers, property syndicators, financiers, banks and retirement village operators. He also has significant experience advising overseas entities investing in property in New Zealand.
Clients note that he is “knowledgeable, responsive, pragmatic and professional at all times” and “always great to work with”.
- NZ Build Group on new master planned communities, including Ormiston Rise in East Tamaki, Auckland and Stubbs Farm in Warkworth, Auckland, both KiwiBuild projects.
- Centuria on the disposal of commercial properties and property management.
- Stonewood Group on the purchase of 280 Queen Street, Auckland for $70m, the development of the Oaks Wellington Hotel on Courtenay Place, Wellington and a social housing lease to STRIVE Community Trust for the 135 room property at 10-20 Park Avenue, Otahuhu.
- Pink Beluga on the luxury Edition Parnell apartment development and the purchase of various multi-tenanted properties and childcare facilities.
- Pro 1 on the purchase and leaseback of the Mr Chips manufacturing premises at 100 Kerwyn Avenue, East Tamaki on a 'triple net lease' basis.
- Watchman Capital on its Mountview Green and Millbrook 44 residential developments, both Kiwibuild projects.
- Arvida Group on the purchase and development of new retirement villages in Richmond and Kerikeri.
- Scarborough Group on the purchase and lease back of the ACG Building at 345 Queen Street, Auckland on a 'triple net lease' basis.
- Haven Funds on the purchase of the Walker Weir property management business.
- Coca-Cola Europacific Partners on the sale of a commercial property at 43 Carbine Road, Mt Wellington.
- ASB Bank on the property aspects of various property finance transactions.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer, 2019
- Best Lawyers, New Zealand, Real Estate, 2021, 2022
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), (Hons), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 2005
Property Council of New Zealand, Member
CoreNet New Zealand, Member
New Zealand Law Society, Property Law Section, Member