Crispin Vinnell advises a wide range of clients, including banks, finance companies, chartered accountants, insolvency practitioners, receivers, liquidators, administrators and the Official Assignee on all facets of insolvency and recovery matters.
This includes Court action at all levels, mortgagee sales, recovery of collateral under the Personal Property Securities Act and advice to receivers and liquidators. Crispin has a particular expertise in personal insolvency.
He is ranked in the 2017 – 2023 Chambers and Partners Directories and is particularly noted for his combination of insolvency and banking-related issues, one source describing him as “very experienced in financial matters,” and he regularly acts on behalf of leading New Zealand banks and prominent international financial service providers.
- On a bank and receivers in recovery of multi-million dollar debt owed by a corporate dairy farm.
- On a High Court litigation involving a major bank and a PPSR dispute in the equipment finance industry
- On a complex litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal relating to a finance company, a failed subdivision and mortgage priority and caveat issues.
- For Kiwibank Limited on the mortgagee sale of a commercial premises, followed by the sale of contracting equipment under the Bank's General Security Agreement.
- Chambers and Partners, Restructuring/Insolvency, Ranked 2017-2023
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Restructuring and Insolvency, Leading Individual 2016-2023
- IFLR1000, Restructuring and Insolvency, Highly Regarded 2022
- Business Today Top 10 Most Influential Restructuring/Insolvency Lawyers in New Zealand 2023
- New Zealand Doyle's Guide, Insolvency and Restructuring, Leading Lawyer 2021-2022
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of Canterbury
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 1994
Insolvency Working Group, Member
RITANZ (Restructuring & Insolvency Turnaround Association of New Zealand, Member
New Zealand Credit and Finance Institute, Member
Banking and Finance Law Association, Member
INSOL New Zealand, Member