Dan is head of our litigation practice and is an experienced commercial litigator with 20 years experience. His experience in insolvency has led to achievements in unchartered areas for New Zealand law, including being the first to apply and successfully obtain recognition of a U.S. bankruptcy in New Zealand and to also have New Zealand liquidators recognised and appointed in Australia.
Dan also has numerous reported decisions in leading construction cases which interface with insolvency law. Dan also has extensive experience in general commercial litigation having represented large organisations, including listed companies and institutional Banks both here and those based in Australia.
He has successfully appeared in the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, High Court, Maori Appellate Court, Maori Land Court and of course the District Court. He has also assisted clients in the Sydney Federal Court and the Circuit Courts in the United States.
Dan is regularly highly regarded in the International Directories with comments including:
‘The firm is nimble, creative and extremely good with clients and advocacy alike. Dan Hughes is the stand out performer.’
‘Dan Hughes is a tough but sensible litigator. He is responsive, efficient and clearly well liked and respected by his clients. He can see clearly the right route for successfully resolving problems, and is decisive.’
Advised and Acted:
- For banks and major credit organisations.
- For liquidators, receivers and administrators both here and in Australia.
- For creditors against liquidators and receivers.
- For large and small businesses in commercial disputes.
- For government in-roading and property disputes.
- For creditors in recovery actions.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Leading Individual, Litigation and Corporate Insolvency, 2020, 2021
- Asialaw Profiles, Leading Lawyer/Individual
- New Zealand Lawyer Magazine, 'Hot List'
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Arts (BA), Victoria University of Wellington
Master of Laws (LLM) (Hons), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 2002
New Zealand Credit and Finance Institute, Member
INSOL New Zealand, Member
Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia, Member
Insolvency Committee of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Vice-Chair