David has over 30 years experience acting on a diverse range of corporate and commercial projects for New Zealand and international clients. He is ranked in various legal directories including Chambers and Partners, The Legal 500, and the International Financial Law Review (IFLR) 1000, and has long standing clients who describe him as personable, technically astute, commercial, and pragmatic.
Clients range from SME businesses seeking guidance and legal support to set and achieve their strategic objectives, to large and sophisticated multi-national corporates who are undertaking complex corporate and commercial transactions. Key sectors of interest include logistics, manufacturing, distribution, agricultural supply, and tourism sectors. Acquisitions, sale and merger transactions, corporate structuring, equity placements, and management shareholding structures are areas of particular expertise.
David regularly advises on key commercial contracts including procurement and supply agreements, manufacturing agreements, agency and distribution agreements, logistics contracts, service agreements, and IP licensing arrangements.
David has both Global and Asia-Pacific rankings with Chambers and Partners and they describe him as “very personable and pragmatic in his approach”, also noting he “works with you to achieve the desired result”. He is recognised as a Leading Individual in The Legal 500 and Highly Regarded in the IFLR1000.
- German-based Rhenus Logistics on its acquisition of the Malcolm Total Logistics Group, by way of the contemporaneous share purchase in three separate operating companies. David acted as lead advisor, and coordinated the due diligence and contract negotiation process with Rhenus' Asia-Pacific based acquisition teams and other New Zealand advisors.
- Donaghys Group on the trade sale of its New Zealand crop packaging business.
- The Crusaders on the negotiation of its Super Rugby licence agreement with New Zealand Rugby, its capital structure and arrangements.
- Numerous companies on shareholding structures and arrangements, including private equity and angel investments, management buy-in and buy-out transactions, and phantom shareholding arrangements.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Leading Individual, 2021
- Chambers and Partners, Corporate/Commercial, 2021
- Asia Pacific IFLR1000, Highly Regarded, 2021
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), University of Otago
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 1991
New Zealand Law Society, Member