Gerard’s experience covers all aspects of development under the RMA, including advising on the preparation of land use consent and private plan change applications, coordinating consultants for land development projects and appearing at local authority, Environment Court and High Court levels. Gerard also has significant experience in advising on local government and land acquisition legislation.
He has a real insider’s view. He has a deep understanding of the politics of local government, having worked as a resource planner within local government, and understands how the RMA operates from working inside the planning environment and is able to speak their language.
- On large scale commercial, industrial and residential re-zonings via the Christchurch Replacement District Plan hearing process.
- On the preparation and ultimate approval of Variation 93 to the Christchurch City Plan to provide for additional residential, commercial and hotel development at Clearwater Resort in North West Christchurch.
- On a proposed $200m wind farm development in the Hurunui District.
- High country landowners on Plan Change 13 to the McKenzie District Plan.
- For landowners involved in 293 RMA proceedings designed to provide for a new community comprising up to 1500 mixed density residential dwellings and associated commercial development on 93ha of land at Belfast, Christchurch.
- For a leading South Island food retail company at both local authority and Environment Court level in obtaining resource consent for supermarkets in Timaru, Christchurch and Blenheim.
- In High Court judicial review proceedings against decisions made by the Minister for Canterbury Earthquake Recovery under the Canterbury earthquake legislation.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), (Hons), Thames Valley University, UK
Master of Laws (LLM), Environmental Law and Conservation, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 2002
Resource Management Law Association, Member