Jessica is a commercial litigator with over 10 years’ experience. She has advised on a range of commercial disputes including farm leases, defective product claims, liquidations, and debt recovery. Jessica also has particular expertise in construction, advising on complex construction contract disputes relating to defective work, delays and payment issues.
Jessica has represented clients in several forums including Court of Appeal, High Court, adjudications, arbitrations, and mediations.
In 2020, Jessica was named on the NZ Lawyer Rising Star List which recognised those who made incredible advancements within their profession.
Jessica was also ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer in real estate and construction in the 2018 and 2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide and was a finalist for the Young Private Practice Lawyer of the Year at the 2017 New Zealand Law Awards. She was also named as an Up and Coming Litigation Star in the 2019 Lawfuel Power list. From 2020 through to 2023, Jessica has been named as a Rising Star in each of the annual Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guides.
After four years in Anthony Harper’s Auckland office, Jessica joined the litigation team in Christchurch in 2019 after returning from parental leave. Despite the move and reflecting the national practice of Anthony Harper Jessica continues to work for a number of our Auckland based clients who value her expertise and pragmatic advice.
Jessica’s clients appreciate her prompt and detailed advice, timely approach and flexibility.
- In a significant lease dispute on a successful application for leave to appeal an arbitration award on a point of law, and related application to recall a judgment.
- For the liquidators in an application to determine status of funds and appointment of receiver over retention funds.
- For a property developer in an arbitration relating to a disputed subdivision development.
- For product supplier in both bringing and defending defective product claims.
- For major civil contractors on construction disputes relating to defective work and delay claims.
- In leaky building claims for body corporates and owners in relation to defective buildings and claims for failed remedial work.
- For national construction companies in respect of leaky apartment buildings in Auckland and Queenstown.
- For the Ministry of Education in respect of defective school buildings.
- For contractors with payment disputes under the Construction Contracts Act.
- For clients with disputes under NZS3910 and other common NZ construction contracts.
- For a range of parties in adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act.
- Liquidators and creditors in liquidations.
- Clients who need urgent injunctions to protect their business interests.
- Contractors and other clients in debt recovery matters.
- Contractors, owners, and consultants in relation to payment disputes and construction contract disputes under the Construction Contracts Act.
- On obligations under various legal frameworks in New Zealand including the Fair Trading Act, Medsafe regulations, the Building Act and Residential Tenancies Act.
New Zealand Law Awards, Finalist (Young Private Practice Lawyer), 2017
Asia Pacific Legal 500, Next Generation Lawyer, 2018-2019, Rising Star, 2020-2023
Bachelor of Laws, (LLB) (First Class Honours), Bachelor of Commerce, (BCom), University of Otago
Admission to the Bar