Joey has over a decade of dispute resolution experience, working across a variety of forums for a broad range clients. He is a general litigator with experience in a wide range of matters including insolvency/restructuring, contractual issues, and company law. He is solutions-focused, realistic, and pragmatic in his approach to litigation.
Joey’s clients include insolvency practitioners and company executives. His background working in-house at a major London bank gives him a strong commercial footing and a good understanding of his clients’ business drivers.
Clients describe Joey as an ‘unassuming advisor and advocate’ who takes a “commercial, pragmatic, and efficient” approach to their problems.
- A large building supply company in successfully obtaining Anton Piller (Search and Seizure) and interim injunction orders against former partners and employees in the business, which were executed at a number of different premises across New Zealand.
- A telecommunications software company in successfully obtaining a springboard injunction against three former (de facto) directors and shareholders of the company prohibiting them from contacting or soliciting clients of the company, using the company’s confidential information, and holding themselves out as directors of the company.
- In the first liquidation of an insurer in New Zealand in relation to significant financial claims against the former directors of the business.
- A Middle Eastern investment bank in a $35 million cross-border prejudiced shareholder/minority oppression claim.
- A custodian trustee in obtaining “gagging” orders against individuals threatening to publish disparaging statements about companies/products, which the custodian trustee had invested in.
- The officer of an unincorporated society in relation to a novel issue concerning their potential liability, where the unincorporated society published an allegedly defamatory statement.
- New Zealand’s largest credit union in a case concerning the interpretation of the Friendly Societies and Credit Unions Act in relation to what services credit unions are able to provide.
- On claims from SME bank customers as part of a large scale bank remediation scheme.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand Law Society, Member
Auckland District Law Society, Member
Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association of New Zealand Incorporated, Member
New Zealand Credit and Finance Institute, Member
Joey has a keen interest in sports and has acted for high profile rugby players including several All Blacks. He advises players on national sports contracts in addition to representing them. He also has experience being a member of sporting disciplinary committees.