Anthony Harper’s Managing Partner, Malcolm Hurley, has extensive experience in a wide range of M&A, corporate, and commercial matters. He has advised on many significant transactions, and is appreciated by his clients as a ‘deal-doer’, with real commercial acumen and understanding. He also assists clients with a wide range of ‘business as usual’ commercial contracts and other work.
Working across all sectors, Malcolm has a particular interest in the retail, and food and beverage, sectors, and understands the challenges faced by businesses in them. As Managing Partner, Malcolm has steered Anthony Harper through significant growth over the past decade that has seen the firm grow from 11 to more than 30 partners. This role gives him an ever greater understanding of the issues and opportunities his clients are working with.
For many years, Malcolm has been recommended in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific guide, where clients noted him as being “efficient and always obliging”.
- NZX-listed Scales Corporation on the sale of its cold storage division to Emergent Cold for circa $153 million.
- Meateor Foods, New Zealand's leading pet food ingredients manufacturer, on its conversion to a limited partnership in a $30 million joint venture with Alliance Group.
- ASX-listed Tesserent on its entry into the New Zealand cyber security market by the acquisition of Lateral Security.
- Tapex on the sale of its Donaghy Crop Packaging, Agpac and Plasback businesses to Tama, an Israeli kibbutz enterprise.
- Hilton Haulage, a leading transport operator, in relation to the acquisition by Ngāi Tahu, through the investment of new capital, of a 50% interest in the Hilton Haulage business and assets.
- GFG Group and its shareholders on the sale of shares and notes to a German purchaser, including the exercise of drag along rights, and multiple consideration types and tranches.
New Zealand Law Awards, Managing Partner of the Year, Finalist 2015-2021; Winner 2016
New Zealand Law Awards, Mid-Market Deal of the Year, Finalist 2017-2019; Winner 2015.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 1986
England and Wales, 1992