Matt specialises in corporate and commercial law, with particular focus on the technology and electricity industries. Having practised in these areas in New Zealand and overseas since 2007, he brings a deep level of legal expertise and industry knowledge. His clients range from emerging companies through to large corporate and public sector organisations. He is passionate about supporting growth companies through their lifecycles and helping them reach key milestones along the way. He enjoys advising suppliers of new technologies with the potential to revolutionise industries and solve real problems.
Matt regularly advises on the commercialisation of new technology, IT system implementation and support arrangements, outsourcing and managed “as a Service” arrangements, and hardware supply arrangements. Other aspects of his work include privacy/data protection matters, capital raising, employee share ownership plans (ESOPs), joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements, corporate restructures, and mergers and acquisitions.
Clients appreciate Matt’s clear, concise and pragmatic advice and responsiveness. He quickly identifies the key issues, and (importantly) how to navigate through them to make a transaction happen. He believes the best results are achieved when clients and lawyers work together as a team.
- Insuretech company JAVLN on various SaaS arrangements with enterprise customers, capital raising, and its acquisition of JRNY’s AI-driven customer experience software.
- Medical record software provider Intrahealth Systems on the New Zealand aspects of its CAD19.25m sale to WELL Health. This multi-jurisdiction transaction included consideration payable in both cash and WELL common stock.
- Soft starter manufacturer, Aucom Electronics, on its sale to Unico Technologies Group.
- Solar energy provider solarZero on the establishment of a new structure and contractual arrangements for the provision of large-scale solar installations for commercial and public sector customers. These arrangements involve a unique "solar as a service" model, and will help solarZero's customers to deliver on commitments to reduce their carbon footprint by consuming lower cost, clean energy.
- SmartCo, a smart electricity metering joint venture formed by various lines companies, on its establishment and founding agreements, including a metering system supply agreement, meter supply agreements, and agreements for the supply of electricity consumption data to electricity retailers. SmartCo has deployed smart meters to service approximately 250,000 urban and rural customers across various parts of New Zealand.
- ASX-listed Nova Eye Medical on its acquisition of Molteno Ophthalmic, an ophthalmology business which has developed a patented glaucoma drainage device.
- Inland Revenue on the procurement process and contractual arrangements for the appointment of its design partner for its $1 billion Business Transformation Programme. The Business Transformation Programme is widely regarded as one of New Zealand's largest ever IT/business transformation projects.
- Wellington City Council, Porirua City Council, Upper Hutt City Council, and Wellington Water on a Shared ICT Services Project to procure shared ICT infrastructure services in the Wellington region.
- On the acquisition of robotic exoskeleton developer, Rex Bionics, its pre-listing capital raise and £10 million reverse listing on the London Stock Exchange's Alternative Investment Market.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Next Generation Partner, 2022-2023
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), (Hons), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 2007