Nick is a financial services expert with more than 20 years experience, and leads Anthony Harper’s financial service practice. He works in all areas across the sector including investment funds (including KiwiSaver), insurance (both regulatory and claims matters), capital markets, financial advice laws, and provider financial services regulation. He also advises on the Takeovers Code, NZX Listing Rule compliance, and on dealings with regulators. Nick is actively involved in law reform, and advises clients on contemporary issues including conduct and culture, and climate change.
He is ranked by Legal 500 as a leading individual, and recognised by both Chamber & Partners and Best Lawyer. Nick brings an international perspective to his role, having practiced in Australia and the United Kingdom.
Nick’s clients describe him as “an excellent operator” who delivers “strategic, pragmatic and timely advice,” and regard him as a trusted adviser who takes the time to understand their business. In addition, Nick is cited as “one of those rare lawyers who is both easy to understand and practical.”
- A major insurer, and a number of fund managers, on conduct and culture issues, including assisting with formal responses to the FMA and RBNZ.
- Funds managers of all sizes on new fund offerings, and significant matters affecting existing funds.
- Financial advisers, financial adviser groups, and others on compliance with financial advice laws, including business structuring, disclosure matters, conduct, and law reform.
- Offshore financial service providers on New Zealand law, including working with a large number of Australian issuers and their advisers on New Zealand offers.
- Clients with formal and informal interactions with regulators (including the FMA, the RBNZ, the Takeovers Panel, APRA, and ASIC)
- Various clients on licensing matters, including applying for new licences, and seeking variations of existing licences.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Investment Funds, Leading Individual, 2021
- Chambers and Partners, Financial Services, Ranked, 2021 and 2022
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), (First Class Honours), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), University of Canterbury
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 2002
England and Wales, 2008
New South Wales, 2014