Olivia is a Senior Associate in Anthony Harper’s litigation team, having been admitted to practice in 2012. She has broad experience in commercial, civil, and regulatory litigation with a particular focus on workplace health and safety matters. Clients come to her for advice around compliance and ways to address health and safety risks internally, as well as in relationships with contractors, suppliers, and others. Olivia also assists clients in responding to workplace incidents, including providing guidance, and representation during investigations and prosecutions by WorkSafe New Zealand and coronial inquests.
In 2021 she was named as a Rising Star in the annual list produced by New Zealand Lawyer magazine.
In addition to her specialist health and safety experience, Olivia has acted on a wide range of civil and commercial litigation matters, including insurance litigation, product liability, estate litigation, breach of contract, negligence cases, and construction disputes:
“Olivia has a reputation as being a pragmatic, technically competent, and highly engaged legal advisor. Clients appreciate her down to earth approach and responsiveness, particularly when dealing with crisis situations in the health and safety context.”
Advised & Represented:
- White Island Tours Limited following the eruption of Whakaari/White Island, including dealing with investigations by Police, and WorkSafe New Zealand, and international claims by affected passengers and their families.
- Flick Anticimex throughout a complex workplace health and safety investigation, and subsequent prosecution regarding exposure of workers to hazardous fumigant chemicals.
- Smart Environmental Limited in the WorkSafe investigation and subsequent prosecution of Smart following a fatal accident involving an employee of a contractor; including successfully negotiating with WorkSafe for the withdrawal of a reckless conduct charge.
- A New Zealand District Health Board in relation to health and safety issues arising from the activities of its Facilities Management division, including special projects and development works across the public hospital and out-patient network.
- A Council Controlled Organisation in relation to its health and safety governance responsibilities and providing training to its officers about their personal health and safety responsibilities.
- New Zealand Lawyer Magazine, Rising Star Award, 2021
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Arts (BA), (First Class Honours), University of Otago
Master of Law (LLM), (First Class Honours), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand Institute of Safety Management, Member of Accreditation Committee, Affiliation Member
Auckland Women’s Lawyers’ Association, Member