Richard specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution. He has a broad practice; though acts regularly on disputes involving insolvency, contractual, property, trusts, and company law dimensions. Richard complements his technical proficiency with an unwavering commitment to achieving his client’s objectives.
Richard’s clients include companies of all shapes and sizes, insolvency practitioners, and high net worth individuals. His time working as in-house counsel for one of New Zealand’s largest universities instilled an appreciation for commercial realities, as well as giving him experience working within a complex regulatory environment.
Richard has a reputation for bringing an analytical and measured approach to resolving complex problems.
- Liquidators of a finance company in respect of a seminal case on voidable transactions that was determined by the Supreme Court: Robt Jones Holdings Ltd v McCullagh  1 NZLR 641.
- A trustee in a dispute about ownership of trust assets.
- A large development company in relation to a contractual dispute with a financier.
- A large multi-national FMCG company in relation to a cross-border dispute with a licensee.
- Liquidators of a construction company in relation to a director's duty claim.
- A high net worth businessman in relation to the imposition of sanctions in New Zealand and abroad.
- One of New Zealand's largest wine-making companies in respect of a lease dispute.
- The executor of a high net worth estate in a contentious administration.
- A financial service provider in relation to a complaint made by a customer under an external dispute resolution scheme.
Rising Star 2023, NZ Lawyer
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of Auckland
NZLS Litigation Skills Programme
Admission to the Bar
Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association of New Zealand Incorporated, Member
New Zealand Credit and Finance Institute, Member
New Zealand Law Society
Auckland District Law Society