Sam has extensive experience leading clients through all aspects of complex corporate and commercial transactions. Sam’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, emerging growth companies, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, franchising and commercial contracting. Sam works across a number of sectors, but has particular experience and focus in the technology, food and beverage and life sciences sectors.
Sam was named finalist for Young Private Practice Lawyer of the Year at the 2019 New Zealand Law Awards and listed as a New Zealand Lawyer Rising Star 2020.
Sam is a deal lawyer that enjoys working with innovative companies. From start-ups to global corporations, he helps companies and investors identify, finance and commercialise technologies, products and brands that will create the most value for them. Sam enjoys working with companies on every facet of their development and financing of their business. When it comes time to exit, Sam helps both sellers and buyers execute orderly and successful transactions.
Sam has a reputation in the market for being technically sound, commercially astute, and responsive:
“Sam is technically very strong, is responsive and has excellent client relationship skills. Sam is good at working through issues and problems and coming up with workable solutions. We appreciate his fast turnaround time and attention to detail. Sam understands our business model well and balances our commercial needs while mitigating legal risk to an appropriate level.” – General Counsel, Foodstuffs North Island Limited.
- A New Zealand tech unicorn on its sale to NASDAQ listed trade buyer for ~NZ$1.5 billion.
- New Zealand's largest grocery retailer on many of its strategic corporate transactions.
- International private equity funds on acquisitions of multiple New Zealand founded tech companies.
- A number of large corporates on their global corporate re-organisations.
- Emerging growth companies on their seed to series A–D capital raises and their day-to-day legal needs.
New Zealand Law Awards, Young Private Practice Lawyer of the Year, Finalist, 2019
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Science (BsC), University of Otago
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand Law Society, Member