Simon’s Trust and Asset Protection Planning practice is supported by background experience in the property, company and commercial fields developed while working in Australia, England and in New Zealand.
His depth and breadth of experience, combined with empathy and willingness to listen, places Simon in a unique position to help his clients. Despite the technical nature of his field of work, Simon brings a practical approach to what he does so that clients are better able to understand what can be complex legal arrangements.
Simon also has an international practice which involves him working with off-shore clients and intermediaries in respect of NZ Foreign Trusts.
He is a co-author of the Brookers ‘NZ Guide to Trusts’.
- Clients in relation to the establishment of appropriate trust and related structures to hold assets to achieve business and/or personal objectives.
- Trustees in relation to administration and restructuring trusts and to executors of estates in relation to administration and distribution of estates.
- International Trust Companies in relation to compliance with New Zealand law.
- Intermediaries in relation to the Zealand Foreign Trust Regime.
- On the impact the Family Protection Act, the Property (Relationships) Act and the Law Reform (Testamentary Promises) Act in relation to the preparation of wills and the administration of estates.
- In relation the preparation of Enduring Powers of Attorney including advice to both the donor of the power and to attorneys on their responsibilities under Enduring Powers of Attorney.
- As court property manager for incapacitated person in the review and remediation of trust and related affairs.
- Joint property manager in the management and administration of affairs for clients who have lost capacity.
- New Zealand Foreign Trusts for non-NZ resident clients.
- Agreements contracting out of the Property (Relationships) Act 1976.
- Trusteeship for high net worth clients.
- Chambers and Partners, Band 2, Ranked
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Queensland Institute of Technology
Certificate of Proficiency in Tax, University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 1993
Estate and Taxation Planning Council of New Zealand, Member
S.T.E.P. – The internationally renowned Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, London, England
New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants Trusts Special Interest Group, Member
Simon is a regular presenter on Trusts and related matters for the New Zealand Law Society and has also presented seminars for the Auckland District Law Society, the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants and STEP