Alex has particular expertise in mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, joint ventures, limited partnerships, corporate governance and constitutional matters, including shareholders’ disputes.
As well as project based work, he regularly advises on a range of commercial legal matters, including consumer law and fair trading issues (particularly in relation to the automotive sector), commercial contracts including supply and procurement agreements, franchise and distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements and shareholder and joint venture agreements.
Alex also heads our automotive practice, providing legal support to vehicle manufacturers , automotive financing and leasing companies, dealers, after sales service providers, and parts and components manufacturers.
- Mercedes-Benz NZ on the sale of the Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner heavy commercial vehicle distribution business in New Zealand.
- Lion NZ Ltd on the sale and purchase of various hospitality businesses and on its investment in Foley Family Wines (NZAX listed).
- The formation of the Brewers Association of New Zealand and the formation of NZ Alcohol Beverages Council.
- On the sale of Heritage Trustee Company Limited (an FMA licenced supervisor of debt securities and registered schemes (including KiwiSaver)) to Sargon Capital.
- Insurance and mortgage broker MPIP Group on its acquisition of Preferred NZ insurance brokers.
- Retirement living and aged care operator Generus Living Group on its investment in Holly Lea Village and on the formation of Pacific Lakes Village.
- The sale of Palms Aged Care to Heritage Lifecare.
- TerraNova Homes and Care on the sale of its West Harbour Gardens, Jervois Road and Riverleigh aged care facilities.
- Mercedes-Benz NZ (then named DaimlerChrysler New Zealand Limited) on the New Zealand aspects of the DaimlerChrysler worldwide demerger.
- A consortium of investors on the acquisition of the NZ and Australian building product manufacturer Thermakraft and on Thermakraft's subsequent purchase of Ausmesh.
- Connector Systems on the sale of its NZ and Australian electronic parts supply businesses to Fortune 500 company Ingram Micro.
- Investors in Carpet Court on the issue of convertible loan notes.
- On the sale of telephone software company Zeacom Group to Toronto Stock Exchange listed Enghouse Systems Limited.
- On the sale of MediaWorks by receivers appointed by Westpac, Rabobank, JP Morgan, RBS, TPG, Tokyo Opportunities.
- On the sale of EziPay (prepaid card business) to Epay, including revised arrangements following the Commerce Commission declining a clearance application by Epay.
- On the acquisition of Williment World Travel by TUI Travel PLC.
- On the sale of the Beds R Us franchise business in NZ and Australia.
- A private company on its co-investment with Allegro Funds by a complementary business and the issue of convertible loans notes.
- The A2 Milk Company (NZAX then NZX listed) on its rights issues and various business acquisitions.
- Comfort Group on its acquisition of Dunlop Living (NZ) and Pacific Brands’ bedding division (Australia).
- On worldwide pre-pack sale of Canterbury Clothing to JD Sports.
- On the acquisition of touch screen manufacturer NextWindow Limited by Smart Technologies Limited (NASDAQ and Toronto Stock Exchange listed).
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Next Generation Partner, 2020-2023
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 2000