Mark Gavin advises clients on all aspects of intellectual property and IP litigation. He has wide experience of copyright, trade marks, brand protection, design, passing off, Fair Trading Act and confidential information disputes and advises extensively in those areas. Mark has further specialised in consumer law, privacy and food expertise.
He has advised extensively on food law, food labelling and code compliance, nutritional claims, the development of new products and product recalls. He also has experience in advertising law, in particular the ASA Codes and complaints processes.
Mark acts for a number of leading New Zealand and international clients dealing in such diverse areas as FMCG, liquor, the fashion and advertising industries.
- Fairfax Media on the proceedings brought by Sky Network Television in relation to alleged copyright infringement of Olympic coverage both in successfully opposing urgent interim injunction during the Olympics and the proceedings that followed.
- TVNZ in parallel proceedings brought by Sky in relation to rugby coverage.
- Members of the RIAA in ongoing litigation involving the freezing of the assets of Megastuff Limited, Kim Dotcom and related parties in relation to alleged copyright infringement through the operation of Megastuff’s file sharing website prior to its shutdown by the US Government.
- LG Electronics in High Court proceedings between LG and a New Zealand distributor of air-conditioning products over the relevant distribution agreement and related issues.
- Napier Tool & Die Ltd in overturning, in the High Court and Court of Appeal, and in a further High Court trial on a copyright infringement damages claim.
- A number of leading brands of their anti-counterfeiting activities in New Zealand.
- A leading retailer on brand protection strategies as well as specific IP related issues.
- A Government agency on an innovative TVC, using third party imagery and IP.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Intellectual Property, Hall of Fame, 2020-2023
- Chambers and Partners, Intellectual Property, Band One, 2021-2023
- New Zealand Doyles Guide, Intellectual Property, Leading Lawyer, 2018-2020
- Business Today Top 10 Most Influential Intellectual Property Lawyers in New Zealand 2023
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), (Hons), University of Auckland
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand, 1986
New South Wales, 2001