Nigel acts for many of New Zealand’s leading financial institutions, advises foreign law firms and banks transacting in New Zealand, and provides foreign law legal opinions for international transactions. He specialises in the financing of commercial property, agribusiness, viticulture, fisheries and aquaculture, and acts in corporate and institutional law. Other practice areas include regulatory compliance (such as the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act 2003 and the Responsible Lending Code), capital raising for financial institutions, and drafting template documents for financial institutions.
Nigel commenced practice in 1986 and has been a dedicated banking law specialist for his entire career. His practice is nationwide and he works closely with the firm’s banking, finance and insolvency lawyers located in Christchurch and Auckland.
In addition to his banking practice, Nigel acts for established businesses in the viticulture and beer brewing industries, and provides advice to those clients in matters such as corporate law, viticulture developments, finance and supply and customer contracts.
Nigel is known for his wide experience in many sectors that financial institutions transact with. He is able to offer insight into legal issues when a financial institution deals with a sector, and provides structuring advice on lending transactions and appropriate security.
For startup financial institutions, Nigel provides advice on capital raising (including compliance with the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013), and regulatory compliance in the banking, non-bank deposit taker, and finance sectors.
Nigel is a Leading Individual in the 2019-2023 Asia Pacific Legal 500 Guides, where clients noted that he is “quick to respond, has good business acumen and is highly commercial”.
He is also ranked in the 2021-2023 Chambers and Partners Directories, where he is praised by clients as a “good communicator” with “extensive knowledge” and “superb work ethics.”
- For a consortium of banks who lend to the New Zealand dairy sector. Nigel's work covers all bank documentation, facility limit reviews and cross-border lending issues.
- For VinLink Marlborough Limited for its acquisition of the Marlborough assets of Sacred Hill Marlborough Limited, including the work for the financing of that transaction.
- Many property finance transactions to re-establish the Christchurch CBD following the 2011 earthquakes, including due diligence of New Zealand Government leases tenants occupying properties being developed.
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Leading Individual, 2019-2023
- Chambers and Partners, Ranked, 2021-2023
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Canterbury
Admission to the Bar
New Zealand Law Society, Member
Institute of Directors New Zealand, Member
Nigel was a founding member of ChristchurchNZ’s “Amplifier” program to assist up and coming businesses with business planning and strategy. He served on the Executive Leadership Team while the program was in place.